Well, it’s been quite some time since we posted one of these – we’ve had a busy start to the new year!
But here is a shiny new one for you all – let’s see what’s inside the head of Transformers colourist, John-Paul Bove!
1. What exactly is your job?
I’m a writer and colourist. Occasionally I draw and letter. I also once fought a monkey with a chess set.
2. How did you get into it?
Monkey fight chess? Oh, comics. I started out writing TV, film and animation stuff mainly and when picking up my comics I was aware that they ran a comics group once every couple of weeks. I started going and I learned the structure of writing comics and met artists who were much better than me so we started to collaborate on stories. I wanted my stories to be told in colour and I didn’t know any colourists so I decided to give it a go… Through collaborating with passionate folk in person and on line I ended up co,louring or writing loads and loads of strips just for fun. One of those collaborators put my name forward to colour his stuff when he got his break and that’s how I started working professionally.
3. How long have you been doing it?
8 or 9 years I think on the colour front, from the time I could hold a pen on the writing front!
4. What’s your favourite colour?
5. If you could only read one comic book for the next year, which one would it be?
I could happily read Midnight nation again and again and never stop…
6. Whose work do you admire the most, or are inspired by, and why?
On the writing front people like Simon Furman and Joe Straczynski have had the most pivotal impact in terms of the kinds of stories that resonated with me and made me want to tell my own stories. I also adore Warren Ellis and Christos Gage off the top of my head. Colour wise I have a million heroes, Dave Stewart, Morry Hollowell, Laura Martin pretty much everyone working on the TF books right now.
7. Are you right or left handed?
8. What’s your ultimate, pick-me-up, feel-good song?
The Hustle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj23_nDFSfE – I challenge you not to smile!
9. What are you working on right now?
I am writing some more creator owned stuff and continue to colour Transformers and some indie projects. I’m also writing something I can’t talk about that is a dream come true!
10. Star Wars or Star Trek?
I love both, but Star Trek I love more. Especially Deep Space Nine, I freaking adore that show!
11. What’s your favourite piece of work that you’ve done?
I think my favourite thing is usually the thing I’m working on at the moment! Probably the covers I worked on for the 30th anniversary of Transformers were the best examples of my colours.
12. Did you cry at the end of Toy Story 3?
Yes. I cry at most things!
13. What comic book/novel/movie/TV show shaped you as you were growing up?
Comic book wise it was the UK Transformers comics, for TV it was shows like He-Man, Babylon 5, Star Trek, Quantum Leap. Novel wise I used to devour books but I adored 1984 as a teen and I loved the Narnia books too.
14. What’s the best thing about the comic book industry?
The making of the comics, the collaboration and then getting to meet and interact with fans.
15. What’s the worst?
Brutal working hours when its busy and brutal quiet periods where you wish for work!
16. Dogs or cats?
Dogs. They’re amazing.
17. Why should comic fans support independent comic shops?
Why not?! Independent comic shops aren’t just places to buy things they’re communities and offer help finding new things. I discovered some amazing gems as a result of recommendations at my local (sadly no longer there…) and I also met my wife there!
18. Imagine it’s 20 years in the future. What do you think will be the planet’s greatest achievement in the last two decades?
Finally defeating the trans-dimensional plasma octopus after the loss of so many lives.
19. If you’re able to tell us, what are you excited about working on in the next 12 months?
I– um– There will be some creator owned stuff and some other stuff… I can say no more!
20. And finally, how do you take your tea/coffee?
Untouched as I walk past drinking a Coke Zero TM*
*other brands are available
John-Paul has recently completed his first creator-owned one-shot “UnEarth”